Christian Atsu was battling divorce before his death – Reports


Christian Atsu was battling divorce before his death – Reports

Tributes continue to pour in for deceased ex-Ghana star Christian Atsu. His tragic death-found lifeless under the rubble of the devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake which hit Turkey and parts of Syria early last month [February], reverberated around the globe.

Countless stories of his benevolence and humility have perfumed everywhere. But after his death, it has been revealed his personal life was somewhat complicated as his marriage with long-term partner Marie-Claire Rupio hit the rocks.

The 2015 Africa Cup of Nations MVP spent the last two years of his life trying to get void his 11-year marriage.

They were [technically] separated and she did not want to have anything to do with the former Vitesse Arnhem and Rio Ave player.

And they got married in 2012. The pair were blessed with three kids.

But unexpectedly the marriage began to deteriorate during the final stages of his contract at Newcastle and the duo needed legal proceedings to go separate ways.

”When his mother-in-law moved in with them in the UK somewhere in 2021, Atsu’s marital problems began. Atsu felt alone in the home as a result of the wife’s increased focus on the mother. He sometimes found it challenging to play with his children because his mother-in-law has taken control of everything in the home,” a source told

Christian Atsu and his family.”Atsu was enraged to the core at this. So, in order for them to continue living their private lives, he instructed the wife to politely request that her mother relocate to Germany.

”His wife objected to the idea because she believed the player didn’t want her mother to live with them, which is how their marital issues began.

”Atsu was fervently looking for a new club at that time because he only had two months left on his contract with Newcastle.”

The duo could not patch their differences as Marie-Claire, a dancer-cum-singer-cum-author,  also had issues with the ex-Chelsea footballer.

”Atsu then moved to Saudi Arabia and signed for Al Raed after failing to find a club in Europe.

”Due to long-standing disagreement [with the wife] before he left for Saudi Arabia, the wife then used his absence to push for a divorce.

”He took the decision to return to Ghana due to injuries and dip in form in Saudi Arabia. He considered hanging up his boots but before that he had plans to play for boyhood team, Hearts of Oak, even if only for a season.

”He decided to change his career plans at that point and also needed money to fund a ton of unfinished projects in Ghana.

”He then made the decision to put off his plans to don the Rainbow jersey in order to sign a lucrative new deal with another European team.

”Hatayaspor was his only choice and so decided to relocate to Turkey. Remember that before moving to Saudi Arabia, he turned down a rich offer from an unknown Turkish club because he wanted to spend his final years with Hearts of Oak.

”If the divorce proceeding hadn’t begun, Atsu would have returned to Ghana and be playing in the Ghana Premier League.”

Whether that trial will go ahead is in doubt. She could seek an annulment and have her rights to Atsu’s estate resolved posthumously.

This was after deliberations between the Twasam family, the Ghana Football Association and the Ministry of Sports.